Tuesday 21 December 2010

Noma.


To say I'm excited would be mammoth under-statement. On the 1st of this month I made it my mission to book a table at the eminent Noma. The restaurant in Copenhagen was named the best in the world by S. Pellegrino in their top 50 awards, but that of course is no secret; thus making the booking of a table akin to the hunt for Excalibur (hidden behind platted fog by a Dodo no doubt.)

As the old adage dictates you have to be in it to win it, so I made myself a cup of tea, settled down with laptop before me and phone grafted to my right ear. The reservations for March were to open at 10.00am Danish time, sharp. As the clock above the mantle ticked it's way to 10.00 I started to phone whilst simultaneously refreshing the restaurants website reservation page, again and again but no avail. The website crashed multiple times under the strain of the mass rush and I could only get the automated message on the phone, all quite stressful but then again I probably need to get out more.

An hour had passed and it was looking as if a table at Noma had escaped from my grasp, but, just as I was about to give up all hope and solemnly abandon the task in hand a page appeared. On the screen of my old faithful MacBook a page asking to confirm which day I wished to make a reservation, a few clicks and it was done, confirmation email received and I had achieved what I felt was the almost impossible.

So, on Wednesday 30th March I will be having lunch at Noma. I really am looking forward to it. I will be spending a week in Copenhagen but Noma is sure to be the highlight. Having lovingly caressed the recently published book 'Noma: Time and Place' (which if you've not read it is well worth the cover price) my appreciation of head-chef René Redzepi grows. The book is beautiful, as you'd come to expect from any Phaidon publication. Well worth buying for the photographs alone, showing the food off to it's best, for anybody who likes eating with their eyes as much as their mouth.

I aim to write a review when I return from my Nordic travels, but that's a few months off, so in the meantime, some visuals to whet anybodies appetite.









No comments:

Post a Comment